Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY Wednesday- T-Shirt Pom Poms!

Happy DIY Wednesday!
You are not going to believe it, but I actually completed a DIY Project this week!
THAT IS SHOCKING!!!

So I ran across this tutorial from the oh so amazing Craftaholics Anonymous.  
 Her tutorials are so detailed and easy to follow.  She even added an additional "Tips and Tricks" post for the T-shirt Pom Poms, for those few little additional details that will help you make the most beautiful and adorable decorative pom poms.
Here are her beautiful creations.  I love the colors!
Aren't they awesome?!?

Now, for my pom poms...
I followed her tutorial exactly, and am so happy with how they turned out.
One little detail I added was that instead of using scissors to cut around the cardboard at the end of the tutorial, I used an X-acto Knife to slice around it.  I tried the scissors, but they just were not working.  The X-acto Knife sliced right through those little strands lickety split!
 
Here is the first little ball I made:

I set it in one of my cherished Belleek Vases, and love the effect!  It looks like a tight little bundle of roses!  (Sort of)
Now, you can see that the strands don't form the little "C" shape like the Craftaholic Anon Pom Poms, and this is what happens when you don't really pull the strands tight around the cardboard.  But I actually love the effect the looser strands give, as well as the tighter "C" shapes.  But if you want a tighter, more precise ball, you need to pull those strands tightly as mentioned in the tutorial tips and tricks.

I had some leftover strands because I used a huge t-shirt, so I went ahead and made a second little beauty.  For this one I really made it a point to pull each strand as tightly as possible, so you can see the difference between the two.
 

I cannot wait to make some more.  I'd like to do some creme colors, and some blacks and grays.  These will also make beautiful and unique ornaments and decorations for the Christmas Holidays.  
So there it is!
T-Shirt Pom Poms for a beautiful DIY Wednesday!

Now go get your craft on!!!
<3




4 COMMENTS:

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey girl,
Love your t-shirt pom poms!! They turned out so pretty! and the vase is perfect to perch one on. Good idea! Thanks for sending me a link so I could stop by your adorable blog :)
happy crafting!
Linda

Christine and Company said... Best Blogger Tips

Aren't these fun? May have to give it a try! Following you from Etsy Blog Team.
Christine

Dita Maulani said... Best Blogger Tips

I would love to make a necklace out of the poms!

dita

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips

Dita, that would be a great idea!!!

back to top