Tuesday, May 24, 2011

DIY Tuesday Quilled Monogram Letter

So last week I came across this incredible DIY project on Craftastical:



I saw it and absolutely had to try it!  If successful, I had plans for making Christmas presents for my family members.
Sooooo...without further ado, here is the result:



The only really difficult part was laying the outline of the letter, and getting it to set properly.  I had chosen a font that had a few curves to the letter, so getting them to curve equally on both sides was a bit challenging.  Once that was down, I was home free.


I wasn't using quilling paper either, so I imagine that gave me some issues as well, only because sometimes the cuts weren't precise on the cardstock so one end wanted to stay down on the paper, and the other wanted to stick up in the air, especially on the curved parts.  To combat this I laid a light book over the top of it once I had it glued down.  I let it set for about 10 minutes, and viola, problem solved!

 I had this frame lying around, so I popped out the glass, put down four pieces of black cardstock to provide the background, and then just simply stuck my letter on there.  I will eventually swap out the frame, but I LOVE the letter.  Next time I want to try to make a small scale one, the tinier the better.  I'll let you know how it works out!

I must wish Craftastical many thanks for providing this incredible tutorial!  I will definitely be quilling up to Christmas as I have quite a few of these to make for my family!

In other news, my hubby and I went to see "Bridesmaids" this weekend.
HOLY HILARIOUS!  But please don't bring your children.  We were sitting there waiting for the movie to start, and two different parents strolled in with little kids, one was only about 5, the other maybe 8 or 9.  The movie started out with a SEX scene!  Highly inappropriate for the kiddies.  At least one of the parents got up and left...but the others stayed, and so did their child.  I need to not judge, but sometimes its so hard!
So if you loved "The Hangover" like I loved it (and cannot wait for "The Hangover 2") then I say go see "Bridesmaids" for your comedy fix.

Okay, time to do some e-mail answering, and crafting.  Hopefully more crafting than e-mail answering!

3 COMMENTS:

Kara Henry said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm so glad it worked out for you--and it turned out sooooo dang cute!!! Of course, I love K's and I love the font you choose and it's so beautiful! It is sort of a fussy project and your idea of a book on top is a great one!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

I LOVE this! I totally want to make an "M" version and it's been on my crafty "to do list" forever, but I just don't know if I have the patience.... : )

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips

@Mel the Crafty Scientist You'll be happy once you do it! Totally worth it! Just make sure you cut your strips to the same size. It really wasn't very hard to do at all!

back to top