Monday, October 24, 2011

Kitchen Project Update

So as many of you might know, I had been working tirelessly on my Kitchen Makeover.
I painted the countertops to look like granite:

Then I added Beadboard Wallpaper as the backsplash:
I then began removing the ugliest border in kitchen history.

So where am I in the process?
Why did I stop posting about it?
Why did it come to a screeching halt?

Well, here is the story:
We started having foundation issues that were causing cracks all over the house, and were causing almost all of our first floor doors to not close properly.
I had to put a halt to my border project as I needed to wait for the house to settle to being fixing the cracks, and then painting over the newly clean border area.  They had to put piers in on the other side of our house, then they caused a huge sewer leak, which then led to two giant holes in our hardwood kitchen floor.
The holes are now filled in with cement but we cannot repair the floor in that spot.  Looks like I'll be doing a post on how to craftily cover up giant cement areas of your kitchen floor!

So right now there is a hold on my kitchen. This has been breaking my heart. And I have been feeling so helpless as I don't have control over the house shifting. It is unsettling to say the least. I love our house, but these issues are causing me so much stress!  It has cost us a fortune, and a fortune is something we don't have...and who knows if the house is going to settle now.

Alas, I shall resume hopefully within the next few weeks as long as no new cracks show up.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

7 COMMENTS:

Abby said... Best Blogger Tips

Can't wait to see when it's done!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said... Best Blogger Tips

Came over to visit from my blog. I had to comment on the roadblocks during your kitchen renovation. Having had 2 old houses, we have had foundation problems AND cracked walls, so I feel your pain! A previous owner removed a load bearing wall in the basement in the 70's which caused all the walls and ceilings to crack, not to mention the stucco outside! Arrrg...I hope we are done repairing the walls in the next few years. If not, I am starting to think of them as old age "wrinkles". :@

Anna@Directions Not Included said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm so sorry you guys are dealing with this. Hang in there. I hope it finishes settling soon and there are no more unexpected expenses.

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips

@Vickie @ Ranger 911 Thank you so much for telling me this. It does help knowing that we're not the only ones in the universe dealing with this home stress!

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anna@Directions Not Included Me too! Thank you for your kind words :)

Maureen said... Best Blogger Tips

@AbbyThank you! I hope to get back on track in a few weeks!

Jessica Farruggio said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow! you painted the countertops? I've never heard of that before!

back to top